Friday, October 3, 2008

Finally at Peace...

Joy is finally at peace.

This morning, I had to load Honey first, because Joy refused to leave her friends. Once Honey was in place, Joy walked right it.

It was a short drive, just a few miles.

Once there, she walked right out of the trailer like a pro, confirming our belief that Joy had vision problems, especially at night. She followed me quietly to the holding pen. I had some hay in the trailer, which I put down for her, a 5 pound bag of carrots, and six apples. One last breakfast, stuffing her face with apples and carrots.

I stood with her until the treats were gone and she started in on the sweet alfalfa.

Then the truck arrived. He was early. I had hoped that I would be able to let the clinic staff hold Joy and I wouldn’t have to be there. But since the truck was early, I stayed.

She went quietly, sinking to the ground and sighing, as if FINALLY, she could lay down and rest. With a soft sigh, she laid over and crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

FINALLY…

She can rest without pain.

FINALLY…

She can run and buck with the rest of the herd.

FINALLY…

She can eat sweet, fresh grass all day under a sun that brings warmth, but doesn’t scorch or burn.

FINALLY…

She isn’t bothered by flies and allergies.

FINALLY…

She can see every sweet face of the horses that arrived before her.

FINALLY…

She is the beauty she was born to be, before the greed and ugliness of human beings robbed her of it.

FINALLY…

Joy is free, leaving behind only memories and hoof prints across my heart..


Rest in peace sweet girl. I will never forget you.

3 comments:

hope4more said...

Peace at last......so sorry for your loss KV and Cathy too. It is hard but compassionate decision you all made for her.

fuglyhorseoftheday said...

It's hard when you rescue the ones that can't be fixed, but it's just as important a part of rescue as the ones that can be. I'm sorry we didn't get her sooner but at least she did not go to Mexico.

Thank you, Karen, for being there for her and doing all that you did to try to help her. I am sure she appreciated her wonderful summer and is glad she is at peace and doesn't have another winter of rain rot and lice ahead of her.

ORSunshine said...

You gave her a few beautiful months and she gave back some beautiful memories.

Joy was loved by those of us who never got to meet her.

Thank you Karen and Cathy for having the love and compassion to take Joy on, give her a good life and then let her go with love.