Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rest in Peace, Sweet Dobbs

Big Cadillac Mac - aka Dobbs 1988 - 2009


He was in so much pain, I couldn't let him suffer another day. He was down this morning when I went to feed. He looked at the hay I set out, but made no effort to get up. I put a halter on him and tugged him up, then watched him hobble over to the hay to eat. He was hungry and he was eating good.

But by the time I was ready to go to work, he was laying back down. I couldn't let him suffer any more. I gave him a double dose of bute and went to work.

Mike, my hero, left work early, loaded him in the trailer for the two miles to the vet. He was still standing when he got there and Mike fed him apples while the vet got the syringes ready. Dobbs was able to eat 4 apples before she was ready.

He went down quickly and quietly. Mike said it was over really fast. While the vet was in the trailer with Dobbs, Mike stood outside and silently cried. He felt so bad for the horse, but knew that for me to do it, would break my heart.

Dobbs was with for far too short a time. He was very well bred, very well train, polite, sweet, and willing. He was such a gentleman, not only with the mares, but with me and Mike and Kali. He died far too young.

Rest in peace my sweet Dobbsy-Doodle. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

No comments: