Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Naked Mole Rat

AKA Thai

That is what she is starting to look like. Her winter coat is coming out in clumps and tufts, leaving naked skin beneath. It's gross!

I posted on another discussion board and almost all the responses came back "20+ TB mares, every spring"

Hmmm... in the meantime, I'm going to add corn oil to her grain and ground flax seed. I have been giving her Necessity, but she's now decided that she doesn't like it after all and won't eat it. Just gotta love those fickle mares!

She is currently "free-penned" with Honey, but I'm going to separate them later this morning after breakfast.

Squirrel and Angel were moved out the the arena yesterday and Dobbs and Millie took their spot in the barn. It's their turn.

Our list of chores today: Move the manure piles from the runs to the arena (I raked them up yesterday), spray weeds in the gravel, brush horses. That should probably fill up my whole day.

A guy that I work with was going with his wife on a 100 mile motorcycle ride for charity. Apparently once or twice a month, they go on these rides. I asked Loren to get the name and phone number of the person who organizes these rides so I could talk to them about maybe doing a ride for SOSEquines. Shawna said that their isn't a whole lot of interest, donations, or volunteers in the area. So I got thinking...610AM radio does 10 minute public interest spots at 4:50 on weeknights. What if Shawna did a spot on the radio to talk about what she does and what she needs. Or maybe the Back Country Horsemen did a charity ride? What if the local 4-H groups did a pen-cleaning day? These are projects I'm going to be working on.

No comments: