Wednesday, October 16, 2013

LEGS AND BLOOD...

These dang horses!  I have no idea how Sweetie did it, but she took the hide off the inside of her back leg.

Mike fed for me this morning (because I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery and a hysterectomy) but I went out to check the horses, like I do every morning and evening.  I check to make sure nothing happened during the day.

Well, I found this:




At some point in the night, Sweetie had rubbed her leg bloody, then laid down, getting sand and dirt in the wounds.

I cold-hosed for 15 minutes, then scrubbed with betadine before rising.  You know those soft brushes that they give you in the hospital when you have a baby?  They have super soft bristles on one side and a sponge on the other side.  I have one from when my 2nd grand-daughter was born last spring.

After rinsing, I patted dry with paper towels, then applied T-Zone Wound Cream, and let her graze on the lawn for 20 minutes so the cream could dry. 

It looks worse than it is but at least she is clean and doctored and will be feeling better soon.

 









2 comments:

Nikker said...

Oh, no, you just got one healed up! This one seems to be a little less "bad". If you know what I mean... Still work you don't need with your recovery.
Also, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Karen V said...

No, this one isn't bad. She just rubbed the hide off. It looks a lot worse than it really is. She was a trooper! She is still really swollen tho.

Thanks for the healing thoughts. I was cleared by my doctors (OB and Shoulder surgeon) to return to work on Monday. Everything is going really good. I have 90% range of motion in the shoulder without pain. I still have some work to do but it feels a LOT better!

The other... the hysterectomy, is going pretty good. I got the weight restriction bumped up to 15 pounds for the next six weeks, then 5 pounds additional per week. So things are progressing toward normal.

I'm back on full barn duty, with the exception of heavy wheelbarrows of poops.